27 January 2012

Double-Cousin DNA

     This week I received my double (possibly triple?) cousin's DNA results from 23andMe.  It took exactly six weeks to receive these results, which is the longest I've ever had to wait with this company.  

     Cousin Anne and I are related at least twice on my dad's side of his family, through each of his parents.  Anne and I are 1st cousins, 2x removed and 2nd cousins, 1x removed.  We might also be related about six generations back, also on my dad's side of the family.  

     I was extremely curious to see how much DNA we had in common and which matches we would have in common. I also hoped to find more matches on my paternal grandfather's side of the family, which she is genetically closer to.  It turns out that Cousin Anne and I share about 4.3% of our DNA in 322 cM.  I uploaded the data to Gedmatch so that I could compare it with my dad's ftDNA data.  It turns out that they share twice as much data, at 644 cM.  

     Here's what our data looks like, with my the blue being my dad and the pink being myself:


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails