15 February 2011

Tombstone Tuesday - Looking Into the Past

     I've wanted to try this technique for a while: photographing an old photo in its contemporary location. There's a group on Flickr devoted to this technique, called Looking Into the Past.

     Today I drove out to the Bethel Cemetery in Smyrna, Cobb, Georgia with copies of old photos and re-photographed them. I remember when we were first looking for the graves of my Great-Great Grandparents, Leverett & Louise Waters, that my grandmother said that they were buried "way out in the country." Well, Smyrna might have been "country" in the 1950s, but it's well developed today! Thanks to that, there's some interesting contrast in these photos.


     This first photo is just about perfect. It's of my Great-Grandmother, Ruby Waters Huyler, and her father, Leverett Waters. They are standing by the grave of Louise Waters, Leverett's wife.

Ruby & Leverett at Waters Family Grave

      I couldn't seem to get this photo just right, though you still get the idea. This is in the same location, but from the other side. This is Leverett and Louise's grandaughter, and Ruby's niece, Sandra Waters.
Sandra at Waters Family Grave

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that is so neat! That's about as close as you can get to putting yourself in your ancestors shoes!

Greta Koehl said...

Great juxtaposition - helps to bring the picture to life.

Joan said...

great idea. Looking forward to trying this technique.

Missy/Bayside Research said...

What a neat idea!

Sara Beth said...

What a great idea! I will have to try it sometime soon. Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer Shoer said...

Fabulous!! Love it and have to try it. Thank you for sharing this fun idea.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails