22 September 2011

Visiting the OEDGS at the Tompkins Library

OEDGS at the Thompkins Memorial Library
     I started out at 8:30 am Monday morning, driving 200 miles with my mom to South Carolina. Our first stop was Edgefield, South Carolina and the Old Edgefield District Genealogical Society (OEDGS).  The society is located in the Tompkins Memorial Library, which is next door to the Edgefield County Library.

     I have previously been an OEDGS, but neglected to renew my membership (a bad habit of mine). Regardless, the materials are available to all. I browsed their books and indexes, but what I really found helpful were the surname files. The Quattlebaum, Dorn and Ouzts families are pretty prolific in the area and each family had a good sized file.

     I was probably most excited to find photos of the homes of two of my ancestors. First, I found a newspaper clipping of the home of John Dorn Jr, my 5x Great Grandfather. The house was dated 1819 and the photo was dated c 1902.

     Next, I found a photo of my 6x Great Grandfather Peter Ouzts / Utz's family home. This one was built in 1873 and rebuilt in 1810 and the photo was from 1928.

     After leaving the OEDGS Library we headed to our next destination: Columbia, SC.





Ouzts House - Newspaper 1

_______________  
Also in this series:
  1. Tweeting My Trip
  2. [this post]
  3. Visiting the South Carolina Department of Archives and History
  4. Visiting Elmwood Cemetery / RestingSpot Review
  5. Visiting the Lexington County Museum
  6. Visiting the Franklin Memorial Library (Emanuel County, GA)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails