30 September 2011

Visiting the Lexington County Museum


     On our last day in South Carolina, we visited the Lexington County Museum. Lexington County is just south of Richland County where we'd been staying.  I have a distant cousin in Lexington who found me via my blog and whom I've yet to meet in person. Ironically, she was visiting her family near my home in Georgia the week I was in South Carolina.

   The Lexington Museum is located in the heart of Lexington, South Carolina but is surrounded by trees and almost feels like it's out in the country. For five dollars we were given a guided tour of most of the buildings, around which a history of the area unfolds. There were multiple houses, a school and a post office from the late 1700s through early and mid 1800s.

     One of the homes is the Leaphart Harmon House. My Great-Great grandmother was a Leaphart and they're all related. I'm not sure how she was related to these particular Leapharts, but they would have been some sort of cousins at least.

     The Museum was really great. The docents were very knowledgeable a well as friendly and for five dollars the hour long tour was well worth the money. I learned a lot about the area and the lives my ancestors would have lead.

Oak Grove School Leaphart Harmon House Laurance Corley House DSC_0012 John Fox House John Fox Kitchen

2 comments:

Deb Ruth said...

Lovely photographs, Valerie. Thanks for sharing. Hope to visit there one day! :-)

Ruby Craft said...

I really enjoyed our time at the Lexington History Museum and am glad we stopped there. They seemed to really enjoy sharing with us stories of the families that lived there. Thanks for taking me with you. Maybe one day we can go back with Sarah.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails