28 March 2010

Family Finder DNA Test, Revisited

So, I decided to go for it and order the Family Finder DNA test from FamilyTreeDNA.com at an "introductory price" of $249. It's a lot of money, but I hope that it will be worth it.

To make my decision, I reviewed what the test is purported to do: find DNA matches within five generations of ancestors - that's anyone descended from the folks in the fan chart below. This includes aunts, uncles, cousins, etc, who may not be able to be matched through just y-DNA or mtDNA tests. As a female, I'm somewhat limited on the results received from my own mtDNA, so that made this test all the more appealing.

Of course, I did have to consider that this is a brand new test - and who am I really testing against? Very few people to start with. And what are the odds of finding a match? Given this fact, I hope that the price of the test a full roll-out isn't that expensive so that more folks can afford it (though it would be nice to have saved some money during the "introductory offer").

Regardless of the pros and cons, I went ahead and took the plunge. I then received an email stating that my test would be processed using DNA samples that I previously submitted. There was no date given for when to expect results.

So, anyone else out there who decided to go for it? Also, I've seen a few comments from other genealogists who received the offer and all were women. It's made me curious to see if there were any men who received an email? If not, maybe they are targeting women? I'd love to know for curiosities sake.

3 comments:

Linda McCauley said...

My brother did the Y DNA test over a year ago and he got the e-mail about this new test. I'm seriously thinking about doing it but, like you, I wouldn't expect much in the way of results until there's time for the database to grow.

Anonymous said...

I'll be waiting to hear what all you learn.

Mavis said...

I decided to go for it too. During the roll out, I'm only having dad tested as when I tested through FTDNA, I did dad's yDNA and mtDNA and of course mtDNA on myself. When they bring it fully online, I'm planning to test mom, also.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails