04 June 2009

Another GA Death Certificate - with COD

I recently requested four death certificates from the GA Vital Records Department and received copies back in which the cause of death had been removed. It was suggested that this was a privacy issue, and that GA, like many states kept back the COD for deaths within the last 50 years. But, I had received back other certificates, from deaths within that time span, that did include the COD. And, the GA Vital Records Website does not state any such restrictions.

Now, I have received back a fourth recently requested death certificate - and this one did include the cause of death. The funny thing? I received two copies: one with the COD and one without. I only paid for one copy. Also, this ancestor died in 1953, the same year that one of the other ancestors died, and who's death certificate did not include COD.

I have to conclude that the GA Vital Records office doesn't know it's own policies! I've sent them an email, enquiring as to their policy on listing causes of death.

Here is the latest one I received, about my Great-Grandmother, Ruby Lee Waters Huyler. She died of "chronic and acute alcoholism." (click for a larger image)


death: huyler, ruby lee waters

1 comment:

Greta Koehl said...

Oh dear; I'm afraid I have several ancestors and numerous relatives with that same cause of death. By the way, I have nominated you for the Janice Brown Puckerbrush Blog Award for excellence at http://gretabog.blogspot.com/2009/06/puckerbrush-award-for-excellence.html.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails