According to a sign in the lobby, staring July 1, 2011, the Georgia Archive will be open Friday and Saturday from 8:30am - 5pm. They will be closed Monday through Thursday. There is no mention of these changes on their website - with less than a month to go!
That's right, the state's archive will only be open two days a week. How does Georgia compare to research hours at state archives throughout the South? Let's compare:
- Alabama: Tue-Fri, 8:00-4:30; 2nd Saturdays
- Florida: Mon-Fri, 9:00-4:30
- Tennessee: Mon-Fri, 8:00-6:00
- South Carolina: Tue-Sat, 8:30-5:00
- North Carolina: Tue-Fri, 8:00-5:30; Sat 9:00-5:00
- Mississippi: Mon, 9:00-5:00; Tue-Fri 8:00-5:00; Sat 8:00-1:00
- Virginia: Mon-Sat 9:00-5:00
So there's no other state in the South East that has cut back so dramatically (back in Oct '10 they were open Tues-Sat). What is Georgia doing?